You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-23 15:51:12

elasticdog
Website

Another Xfce won't start thread (although I think it's an X problem)

After the most recent round of updates, I can't get X to start anymore either.  I haven't changed any configurations, but I also don't think I've reset since before upgrading to pacman 3 and a few other packages.  I'm not an Xorg guru, and am not exactly sure what the error messages I'm getting mean.  My permissions for /tmp are properly set to 1777, and I don't think I'm having the same issue as the other people having specific Xfce problems (my SLiM installation also won't load).  Any ideas of where to look would be greatly appreciated...

#2 2007-05-24 20:40:52

elasticdog
Website

Re: Another Xfce won't start thread (although I think it's an X problem)

No thoughts on that error?  If I have time tonight after work, I'll try to see if it's a specific Xfce issue or not.

#3 2007-05-24 21:01:29

ataraxia

I keep thinking that this one one particular keyboard model whose map is screwed up. The other thread's error had keycode stuff in it too. You have some specific keyboard model configured?

#4 2007-05-24 21:14:50

mixtr

As root try "grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log" and send us the output if you have any, it might show us more of the problems you have

Last edited by mixtr (2007-05-24 21:15:30)

-- mixtr

#5 2007-05-24 23:40:48

synthead

Looks like it's Xorg to me.  Look into "Multiple names for keycode 211".  I think that's where your problem lies.

Also, try running X without a window manager, or the ultra-light TWM.  See what happens.  You modify this in ~/.xinitrc.  Comment out everything to start X without a manager, put exec twm to start TWM.

#6 2007-05-25 01:15:01

elasticdog
Website

Nothing of interest from the grep:

$ grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Current Operating System: Linux halcyon 2.6.21-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun May 6 18:33:47 CEST 2007 i686
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

The only specific keyboard related configuration that I can think of is that I'm running both numlockx and xbindkeys to link up the scrollwheel for transparency:

$ cat .xbindkeysrc
"transset-df --min 0.1 -p --dec 0.1"
 control + b:4

"transset-df -p --inc 0.1"
 control + b:5

The keyboard itself is one of the old Microsoft Internet Keyboards, but I don't think I've done anything special for it specifically.  Like I said, this just came up, and I've been running smoothly (for the most part) for nearly 2 years with close to the same config.  I'm still at work, but I'll try and do some more testing when I go home tonight...I'm leaving for vacation for a week, so I might not get to it until I get back.

#7 2007-05-25 17:35:38

abhidg
Website

In your error message i saw something to do with libc.so.6. Could your problem be related to the recent glibc upgrade? Because in the past, when I used Gentoo, I had to recompile xorg after a glibc update. Though, I have glibc 2.6, here there are no problems; and the keysyms should not be a problem as the log itself says "xkbcomp errors are not fatal to the server".

#8 2007-05-25 18:46:49

elwario91
Website

Hello!

I had the same problem, it's a permissions bug in pacman 3...
To solve I did a chmod on /tmp:

chmod 777 /tmp && chmod a+x /tmp

Now I'm on XFCE smile

#9 2007-05-26 16:29:28

elwario91
Website

And does it work, could you use XFCE?

#10 2007-06-02 20:02:21

elasticdog
Website

Alrighty...I'm back from my vacation (San Francisco is AWESOME BTW) and I've tried a few more things without any luck:
elwario91 it's not the permissions issue that a lot of other people have had as noted above.
synthead I tried running twm with no luck as well, I get the exact same message.  I also tried commenting out my specific line in xorg.conf specifying the keyboard layout to test if that changed anything (the line was Option "XkbModel" "microsoftinet") and it did not change anything.

With a little googling, I found a couple of posts with similar issues, but the solutions seemed inconsistent or not applicable to my situation.  I'm at work once again, so I can't test anything, but I am going to try rolling back the nvidia driver to see if that does anything.  I'm starting to run out of ideas...YARRRR!

#11 2007-06-05 16:07:06

elasticdog
Website

Whew...after a ton of testing and messing around with the various xorg configurations, I tracked down my problem to something related to the evdev driver and my mouse.  When I use the following, everything works (except for my extra mouse buttons):

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"        "auto"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
    Option      "Device"          "/dev/psaux"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

While my old xorg.conf mouse section generates the errors shown above:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "evdev"
   Option      "Dev Name"       "PS2++ Logitech MX Mouse"
   Option      "Dev Phys"       "isa0060/serio1/input0"
   Option      "Device"         "/dev/input/event1"
   Option      "Resolution"     "800"
   Option      "SampleRate"     "150"
   Option      "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

I've used those settings for months and months with no issues...can anybody see what might be causing the conflict?  Hopefully I'll be able to get it going once again so my extra mouse buttons won't go to waste tongue

Board footer